As our time in paradise ended, it was our time to get back into civilisation.
This means a few things:
– getting a first good view over parts of nz as part of our flight (and do these guys have trees!)
– getting almost a culture shock, feeling like travelling 2nd/3rd world to 1st world in very short time (sorry Fiji!)
– getting through customs. Experience was ok, but not anywhere near as good as Sydney. Maybe that’s due to the even stricter rules in nz, maybe that’s due to us coming from Fiji. Who knows!
Anyways- that’s what it looks like when you land:
Hotel wise we were really lucky. I had booked an apartment with a reasonable price, only checking it wasn’t too far from the city, not considering that
– it had a washing machine (goodbye dirty stuff from Fiji, hello fresh underwear)
– hotel was located on a hill and we were on the 17th floor. The view was just amazing!!!!!
The city is overall very modern. You can see the colonial British influence in some buildings, but honestly at times I wasn’t sure if I was in New Zealand or in South Africa or any other former british colony that now has a modern city.
Just to highlight a few things:
Odd taste in window display of mall:
(That is underwater-pirate-Santa and his Seehorse-reindeers)
Odd taste in burgers (it was surprisingly tasty. I ordered it even if I was a bit suspicious…)
Btw. It’s the Kiwi Burger. I added the menu as the ingredients don’ come out in the pic)
Odd taste in art (I guess that statement is arguable)
Some areas that look like taken from the average dystrophic novel:
Interesting combo of war memorial and uni sportsground, with an interesting greenhouse near by:
And of course- star wars is everywhere (this was the first store we entered – seems like electrical engineers get magically dragged into Akihabara-Style shops all the time… )